A Visit to Emergency

Unfortunately things have not gone as planned for my sister in law.  She came through her surgery well but had some swelling and discomfort while recuperating in the hospital.  Still in all they discharged her on Thursday and she went home where her two sons were staying to provide her support and assistance while she mends.

On Friday I went over and did check in and decided that perhaps us women should stick together and brought her home to my place.  Her sons were okay with it and she agreed so we packed her up and brought her home.  That night her discomfort increased although the pain didn’t.   Her legs were still quite swollen as was her belly.  She had no appetite and no desire to drink or even move.  We tried to keep her moving but it winded her, absolutely took her breath away.

On Friday, she had a restless night and the painkillers caused her hallucinations. It was difficult to get her up on Saturday morning.  Her breathing was very labored.  Apparently she has used puffers in the past and asked me to go pick them up from her house.  The prescriptions were quite old but she used them anyway and seemed to get some relief.  Still she seemed over the course of a couple of hours to get worse not better.  Around dinner time we made the decision to take her to the hospital.  She went by ambulance which was the right choice – she was seen immediately and needed to be.  She had developed a complication that required immediate  surgery.

Gas from her intestine had leaked into her abdomen and was pushing up her diaphragm.   No wonder she was feeling short of breath!  It was quite remarkable that she wasn’t in pain – she was struggling to breathe yet was not really experiencing pain.  The doctors at the hospital moved quite quickly to get her diagnosed – she was in and back for a CT scan in record time.  So it’s 1 o’clock in the morning and here I sit, along with her son, waiting to get the all clear from the surgeon.

Cancer is the darnedest thing.   It’s like that tumor was still trying to wreak havoc on her even after it was gone – one last kick at trying to make her life miserable.  The surgeon said it would be a couple of hours in the OR. It’s likely we will get the update by 2 a.m.

6 comments on “A Visit to Emergency

  1. Pingback: Surgery Update #2 | artfulwhimsy

  2. Pingback: My Sister-In-Law | artfulwhimsy

  3. Pingback: Burned Out | artfulwhimsy

  4. Pingback: My Sister-In-Law – November Update | artfulwhimsy

  5. Pingback: The Sister-In-Law | artfulwhimsy

Any thoughts or experiences to share? Leave them here.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s