The Results

Today was the big day – it had become monumental in our lives and finally, finally it is over.

Yesterday my husband had his CT scan to see if the chemo he is presently on was an effective treatment.  He ended up having a full body, including head, CT scan.  He had to drink two large glasses of a mixture of apple juice, water and some type of dye prior to the scan.  The scan itself was uneventful.  The CT technician at the hospital was personable and friendly – nice guy, he’s done all of my hubby’s scans so far.  About four hours after the scan my husband’s troubles began.  He started to feel nauseous and ended up vomiting sporadically throughout the evening, overnight and into this morning.  As a result, and out of desperation, I called our GP.  It seemed cruel to take a guy who was feeling so awful to an appointment that involved driving a half hour and waiting two hours for blood work to be processed with the potential outcome of receiving bad news.  I asked the GP if I should put him through that, he’s such a nice man and deserves kindness.  Her answer was “he needs to go to this appointment.”  Okay, so be it.

My husband, me  and his nephew – who thankfully drove – set off for the hospital.   My husband did the blood work thing and then waited.  It was quite busy and we had to wait a little bit before seeing his Oncologist.  It was worth the wait.  The Oncologist did a review of the CT scan findings with us – with what we perceived to be an incredible outcome.  The nodules in his lungs appeared to have gone – this finding is qualified by the development of some pleural effusion which obscured some areas of the lung – so there could still be some cancerous nodules behind the pleural patches.  The tumor that had been identified as the primary was not visible in this CT scan.  The bony lesions appeared to be healing.  It was not all sunshine and lollipops – there are some concerns with the pleural effusion as well as the purpura and petechiae on his leg.  We left with a prescription to try and clear these up.  His chemo session for tomorrow was cancelled.  The Oncologist rescheduled us for next week when we will meet with him after he has done some consultation with his peers to develop a plan for the next stage of my husband’s treatment.

Simply put, as the Oncologist stated, “it is a very good outcome.”   Not out of the woods yet but significantly closer.  My husband will always be a cancer patient, we know that, but for right now he appears to have gained some quality time.  Thank you to the collective universe and all those sending positive thoughts his way.

My sister-in-law did well too.  The tumor they removed was larger than they anticipated.  Still her surgeon was pleased overall with how the surgery went.  She had a bit of a tough night last night due to pain, so hopefully the pain medication has been modified to address this.  In her case, there are some requirements physically before she can be released from the hospital – which is a good thing.  I suspect she will be in the hospital until Thursday at least.

Whew, this is one rollercoaster ride that has too many highs and lows.  I know that there remain a lot of unknowns and that next week may bring new information, but for now we are going to relax just a little bit.

8 comments on “The Results

  1. Awesome news!!! He is so very lucky, don’t let your guard down now, any changes (diet especially) made for the good should continue. If you can, cut all sugar, it feeds cancer cells. You probably knew that though…..GJB


    • Thanks – it is good news. But we aren’t out of the woods yet. Next week we will get the consolidated feedback from the Oncologists on staff and hopefully they don’t find anything too alarming. I do suspect there is more chemotherapy in the immediate future too – which really knocks him out. Being cautiously optimistic – but I did go buy a ticket for the lottery.


  2. Great news but ditto the previous comment. Cancer has a nasty habit of lurking around, I’m a good example of that. I really hope you and your husband feel some relief. 😄


    • The Oncologist was pretty specific in the meeting that my husband is still a cancer patient, and always will be. This treatment was to get his cancer under control and create some quality time. We will know more after the next meeting on Tuesday. I do know that it will be constant vigilance for us with respect to his diet, physical and emotional health from here on in.

      Liked by 1 person

    • Thanks Laurie. It’s quite the journey isn’t it? I hope your husband’s prognosis is good and that the cancer was caught early on. The psychological aspect of this disease is one of the largest pieces to manage for us.


  3. Pingback: The Sister-In-Law | artfulwhimsy

Any thoughts or experiences to share? Leave them here.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s